Costa Rican bliss

Last week I was sitting in a hammock looking out to sea at a pod of whales basking in the sun. As perfectly blissful as it may sound, it was not an unordinary experience there. It was one that was appreciated greatly though, as the past six months have been chock full of American highways, noise, and surrealism. Not that the setting in Costa Rica wasn’t surreal, it was just nice to back in a place where nature has a chance to be seen on a daily basis, firsthand.
The main goal this trip was to try and film some tuna. The success of the story Rogue Studios has been trying to tell rests upon a few precious images which are all but impossible to describe effectively with words. Hundreds of dolphin, and hundreds of tuna. Thats the idea. To get these shots a lot of time has to be spent at sea searching for the tell tale signs of spinner dolphin. Many days have to be spent in seeming futility in order to get lucky. By spending more time, your chances would appear to get better, although it doesn’t always feel like it.
We found dolphin this trip, but no tuna. We even found millions of jellyfish, or they found us to be more precise. Along the way there were turtles, sailfish, mobular rays, and manta rays. One even slowed down enough to let me get a short ride. My camera didn’t get to see any tuna this trip, but there was a lot of other things to see for sure that made up for it.
I just got an email from one of the guys on the boat Kingfisher who I was with. The day after I left, the tuna showed up. Oh well. At least I know they are there. Maybe in May I will be back. I just landed in South Africa. I will be here the next couple weeks and “work” will involve a lot of diving. There should be a lot of sharks too. The big kind that South Africa is famous for. Hopefully they will be kind enough to allow filming from outside a cage. Full open water diving with great whites. This will be good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There's always next time!